Thursday 8 September 2011

Real Football Resumes!


Evening all,

Firstly I would like to convey my sincerest apologies for lack of activity on the blog in the past few days. This is due to a completely insane work schedule which has resulted in me feeling as though I have been cut off from society. I am out of touch with reality and for these past few days any news I would have given you would have been pure fiction.

Enough about me though on to the good stuff; or not as it turns out.

In my last blog I reported that Thomas Vermaelen could be in contention to return this weekend. I will be the first to hold up my hands and emphatically exclaim I was as wrong as a grown man eating dog food whilst being called a bitch from his mistress, wearing only a rubber collar with a chain. It seems that Thomas Vermaelen had some hush surgery on his left ankle to remove a problematic tendon. Thankfully this is not the same ankle/Achilles injury that had kept him out for the majority of last season. It does however seem that it is a similar problem according to Vermaelen’s father:

"The doctor in Stockholm, where Thomas was operated on last time too, recognised the problem now... He would not take any chances and immediately operated on Thomas. He expects five to six weeks of unavailability."

Not only that, but it seems that Walcott may have tweaked his hamstring a tad which makes him a doubt for the coming fixture. These injuries are somewhat supplemented by the sudden influx of new and fit signings all of which would have trained with the remaining squad for the first time today. Match preparation is imperative and with the some key signings at an important time it is clear that many of these will have to hit the ground running.

There are many out there “in the know” that feel the rigours of the Premiership will highlight Mertesackers many deficiencies. As I have stated before, I feel he will be a good signing verging on great. It is not ideal that he is not playing alongside Vermaelen to start with but I feel he has the experience and the tactical knowledge to ensure he is a better alternative to Djourou. It will certainly be a tough initiation into the Premiership but it could be far, far worse. A fixture against Swansea, with all due respect, is a far easier fixture to step into than any of the previous 5 we have had.

As Ramsey said in an interview with Arsenal.com “I saw last season, when I played against Swansea for Cardiff, that they are a good footballing team and like to pass the ball. It will be a good footballing game but hopefully we come out on top and get all three points.” This is a style of football that should suit us. I would expect a great response from the lads and if they follow in the form that they had during the international break, I would predict a victory.

Anyway all, a hectic day of work calls, but before that more work beholds the night. Great fun…

A good night to you all and HOPEFULLY speak to you tomorrow!

Goonerverse!

No comments:

Post a Comment