Saturday 13 August 2011

And so it begins...

Morning Gooners and welcome to a new edition of the Goonerverse.

It has seemed a very long summer and the moment we all thought would never come has finally arrived. Despite all the negativity behind the scenes regarding transfers and such I am hugely delighted by the fact that the football is back and that is what everyone can finally talk about. Here’s to hoping we give everyone only positives to write about.

I certainly see that starting today. I cannot envisage a repetition of last year and whilst I’d imagine it playing a part on the player’s minds, I do see us showing the world we are not finished as a club with a strong showing today. The first thing different is I will not be going, I have been up a few times and every time, whether it against Newcastle or Sunderland, we have had a dreadful result. I have decided my presence is not helpful and not required. Also not getting ready to go up this morning allows me to be even more anxious than normal without beer to keep me company.

We have good news on the whole regarding injuries for a change with Robin van Persie, Thomas Vermaelen, Kieran Gibbs, Theo Walcott, Aaron Ramsey and Andrey Arshavin are all expected to be available after shrugging off minor fitness concerns. This is essential as without these players we are looking at a team closer to the one that was overrun by an energetic Benfica side.

Absent however are Diaby, Fabregas (he is still officially an Arsenal player) and Nasri, two of which will never play for arsenal again. The only real absentee from Newcastle is Ben Arfa.

I hope we play Arshavin centrally today with Walcott and Gervinho out wide but can see us sticking with Rosicky in the middle which isn’t a disaster, just would be nice to give Arshavin the position he has been clamouring for since he arrived. Think it would work out well but we shall see.

I expect Gervinho to have an immediate impact this season as every time I have watched him he has excited me and he looks like exactly the type of player that does well for us.

I see us winning and keeping a clean sheet so I’m going to say 2-0. If Newcastle come out and attack us which I fully expect them to do, I see us picking them off with Walcott and Van Persie linking well.

Possible starting XIs
Newcastle: Harper, Simpson, Steven Taylor, Coloccini, Ryan Taylor, Barton, Tiote, Cabaye, Gutierrez, Ba, Ameobi.

Arsenal: Szczesny, Sagna, Vermaelen, Djourou, Gibbs, Song, Ramsey, Arshavin/Rosicky, Walcott, Gervinho, Van Persie
In other news, Arsenal have ALMOST signed Campbell which I suppose isn’t really news.

That puts a lid on things and the season has really begun! I will hopefully be posting a very positive match report and news round up tomorrow!

Up the Arse!

Goonerverse

No comments:

Post a Comment